My guest today is going to challenge the concept of “tolerance” why she believes that diversity cannot be a goal because it already exists as long we take the “actual” definition of diversity and broaden it beyond traditional uses. My guest believes that inclusion has to be a goal because that takes cultivation, vulnerability, curiosity, and honesty, and shifting our thinking from "diversity" to "intersectional inclusivity" is one of the hardest things we'll ever do, but it's the only way to save the world.
Dr. Kristen Donnelly. Kristen is an Empathy Enthusiast, an unapologetic nerd, an educator, and a TEDx Speaker. She is the Founder at Abbey Research – an organization that for over 20 years is based on the belief that every community of humans is made more inclusive through curiosity and empathy. Abbey Research provides concrete solutions to complex questions and helps organizations navigate change.
Key Topics & Time Stamps:
· What Kristen wanted to be growing up & her love of Broadway (4:22)
· What does it mean to be an “Empathy Enthusiast?” (9:36)
· Developing an “Empathy Posture” (15:12)
· Engaging empathetically and why tolerance is passive (19:16)
· Why can’t diversity be a goal? (23:22)
· Focusing on inclusivity (26:20)
· Tips for leaders to create safer spaces at work (29:02)
· Being gentle with yourself (35:47)
· Where you can follow and connect with Kristen and Abbey Research (37:14)
List of Resources:
· Your Mid-Career GPS – Four Steps to Figuring Out What’s Next by John Neral
Calls to Action:
· Get your free Mid-Career GPS Resources at https://johnneral.com.
· Join the “Your Mid-Career GPS Private Facebook Group” here.
· Get notified when new podcast episodes drop. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts here or wherever you listen.
· Follow me on social. LinkedIn @johnneral, Instagram @johnneralcoaching, Facebook @johnneralcoaching, Twitter @john_neral.
· Visit https://johnneral.com for more information.