Have you ever wanted to talk to someone about their job and how they got there but were afraid to ask them? Informational interviews are your best way to open up a conversation and learn more about how someone progressed into their current role and what they did to get there.
In this episode, I’m sharing five tips to help you conduct your next informational interview. You’ll learn how to identify who to talk to, prepare your questions, invite and have your conversation, send a thank you, and reflect on what you’ve learned. Plus, I share some questions to help you get the information you need to make this experience worth the time and energy for you and your guest.
Key Topics & Time Stamps:
· Intro (1:25)
· Your Mid-Career GPS Book (1:58)
· What is an Informational Interview? (4:31)
· Examining Your Thoughts on an Informational Interview (5:32)
· Tip #1 – Identify Who You Want to Talk to (9:29)
· Tip #2 – Prepare Your Questions (10:36)
· Tip #3 – Invite and Conduct Your Informational Interview (13:00)
· Tip #4 – Send Thanks (14:23)
· Tip #5 – Reflect on What You Learned (16:00)
· Examples of Good Informational Interview Questions (17:44)
· Take Time to Nurture Your Connection Before Inviting Them to an Informational Interview (20:45)
· Your Challenge (22:00)
List of Resources:
· Your Mid-Career GPS – Four Steps to Figuring Out What’s Next by John Neral
Calls to Action:
· Join the “Your Mid-Career GPS Private Facebook Group” here and be part of a fantastic group of like-minded professionals navigating their career paths just like you.
· Get notified when new podcast episodes drop. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts here or wherever you listen. And don’t forget to rate and review to let me know what you are enjoying or learning.
· Let’s stay connected by following me on social. LinkedIn @johnneral, Instagram @johnneralcoaching, Facebook @johnneralcoaching, Twitter @john_neral.
· Visit https://johnneral.com for more information.