Each June, we celebrate PRIDE to recognize the efforts and contributions of the LGBTQ+ community. In this episode, I take the mic to share my personal coming out story, the lessons learned from being quiet and coming out, and how those lessons have impacted me personally and professionally.
I’m sharing my story with you to help increase your awareness, understanding, and perspective. But, more importantly, I want you to know me a bit more. This is a personal and raw account of what I’ve learned throughout my life and career. My sincere hope is that no one has to go through the fear and anxiety about losing their job because of their sexual orientation. While things are better, we still have a lot of work to do to ensure safe working environments for all.
Key Topics & Time Stamps:
· My coming out story and the lessons I’ve learned (0:40)
· Afraid to come out in my career (5:48)
· What celebrating PRIDE means to me (10:28)
· Being asked if I was a “homeowner” (11:51)
· Answering “What did you do over the weekend?” and fearing being outed (13:30)
· Almost losing my job because I am gay (14:28)
· Starting a new job in a more diverse organization (16:10)
· Why I am proud to tell my story (18:37)
· Lessons learned about SHOWing UP in my life and career (21:22)
· Breaking down my #SHOWUP6Strategies for my life and career (23:18)
· Creating a Book Club around SHOW UP (34:31)
List of Resources:
Calls to Action:
· Join the “Your Mid-Career GPS Private Facebook Group” here and be part of an amazing group of like-minded professionals navigating their career paths just like you.
· Get notified when new podcast episodes drop. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts here or wherever you listen. And don’t forget to rate and review to let me know what you are enjoying or learning.
· Let’s stay connected by following me on social. LinkedIn @johnneral, Instagram @johnneralcoaching, Facebook @johnneralcoaching, Twitter @john_neral.
· Visit https://johnneral.com for more information.