We all go through the Performance Appraisal process but depending on where you work and how your organization views its importance, it may determine how much quality feedback you receive. Feedback is vital to ensuring your career success as you build Your Mid-Career GPS. But sometimes, depending on where you work and who your boss is, your annual review may not be all you hope it to be.
If you are someone who craves feedback or has been disappointed in how your last performance appraisal went, listen to this episode to help you navigate your next review.
In this episode, you’ll learn why performance appraisals are in place, how they have evolved over the years, and what you can do to get the most out of your annual review meeting. Plus, I’ll share with you some tips to keep you on your path when you don’t get the promotion and how to make the most of your next year leading up to your next annual review.
Key Topics & Time Stamps:
· Why Performance Appraisals Exist (3:10)
· Performance Appraisals Provide You with Feedback & Build Relationships (5:59)
· Being Aware of Your Company’s Culture and Attitudes Toward Performance Appraisal (9:12)
· Why I Always Valued Delivering Performance Appraisals to My Direct Reports (12:23)
· Tips to Help You Get What You Need from Your Performance Appraisal (14:27)
List of Resources:
· The Performance Management Revolution by Peter Cappelli and Anna Tavis (Harvard Business Review) - https://hbr.org/2016/10/the-performance-management-revolution
· 6 Tips for Writing an Effective Performance Review by Sean Peak - https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/5760-write-good-performance-review.html
· Blog – What to Do When You Don’t Get the Promotion - https://johnneral.com/what-to-do-when-you-dont-get-the-promotion/
Calls to Action:
· If you’d like to get weekly information about leadership and career topics, sign up for my email newsletter here.
· Get notified when new podcast episodes drop. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts here or wherever you listen. And don’t forget to rate and review to let me know what you are enjoying or learning.
· Let’s stay connected by following me on social. LinkedIn @johnneral, Instagram @johnneralcoaching, Facebook @johnneralcoaching, Twitter @john_neral.
· Visit https://johnneral.com for more information.