Dr. Malissa Clark is an Industrial-Organizational Psychologist and Associate Professor at the University of Georgia. Dr. Clark specializes in employee well-being, family dynamics, and workaholism. Dr. Clark’s research has been featured in various media outlets, including the BBC, The Atlantic, Huffington Post, and New America’s Better Life Lab podcast series.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
· What an Industrial-Organizational Psychologist does
· What is workaholism, and how to know if your work is consuming your life
· What Dr. Clark’s research has found regarding the way we work and how families have addressed roles of parenting during the pandemic
· How we are re-evaluating what’s important to us in our careers and what we want for our next career chapter.
Key Topics & Time Stamps:
· Are You a Workaholic? (0:05)
· Meet Dr. Malissa Clark (3:30)
· Figuring Things Out After College (5:09)
· Going Back to a Sales Job (8:20)
· Figuring Out What You Like to Do (10:20)
· Defining I/O Psychology (14:39)
· The Work of an I/O Psychologist (16:57)
· Defining Workaholism (19:45)
· The Pandemic’s Impact on Who Takes Care of the Kids (21:15)
· The Pandemic’s Impact on Remote Work (23:12)
· How Workaholics Are Rethinking Their Work (24:30)
· Advice for Organizations to Improve Company Culture (27:01)
· Dealing with Burnout (30:53)
· Malissa Clark’s Advice to Help You Build Your Mid-Career GPS (34:08)
· How to Connect with Dr. Malissa Clark (36:26)
List of Resources:
· Your Mid-Career GPS – Four Steps to Figuring Out What’s Next by John Neral
Calls to Action:
· Get your free Mid-Career GPS Resources at https://johnneral.com.
· Join the “Your Mid-Career GPS Private Facebook Group” here and be part of a fantastic group of like-minded professionals navigating their career paths just like you.
· GSupport the show
Thank you for listening to The Mid-Career GPS Podcast.
Please leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts here.
Visit https://johnneral.com to download your free guide, "5 Mistakes Mid-Career Professionals Make (And Need to Stop Doing) and more information about your leadership and career transition. And other free resources at https://johnneral.com/resources.
Connect with John on LinkedIn here.
Follow John on Instagram & Threads @johnneralcoaching.
Subscribe to John's YouTube Channel here.